Wednesday 18 February 2015

Mixed media Exploring the living hinge

This week I have been on the laser cutter trying to understand how I can make a solid material so for example wood and to make it flexible and be able to sculpt the material.

Last week I was researching living hinges in places like Fred Aldus where I came across living hinges of different patterns and I really wanted to see how this worked for myself. I searched online from a sight called living hinge and also one just called hinge. 5 hours later from the laser cutter I came out with some really interesting outcomes and samples. From looking at the different types of hinges I decided which was the most flexible and enlarged i.e. started with a decoration approach with wooden uses. This was taking away from the simplicity of the living hinge. I plan for this week to take this idea of hinge and flexibility and the ability to sculpt with paper and to see how I can create the same movement the wood has and apply it to the paper. Maybe see how it falls on the body.






No comments:

Post a Comment