Sunday 21 February 2016

Live Brief:BIRLEY FIELDS COMMISSION

The Brief 
THE BRIEF Inside /Outside Create a site-specific artwork for either an interior or exterior space in the new building/surrounding courtyard area of the Birley field campus in Hulme. Sites to be identified on the site visit. Ideas can be developed around the history of the space and or its current uses in education, sustainability or in response to the physical space itself. This brief is designed to give you the opportunity to understand the commission process, which involves presenting your ideas to a client, and working with budgets and also working to scale within a public site. Further information will be given at the briefing. TIMELINE BRIEFING: 17th December at 2:30pm in room BZ 106 followed by a SITE VISIT to Birley Fields. To take part in this project you will need to come to the briefing/site visit PITCH PRESENTATIONS: Week beginning 25th January (details to be confirmed). THEORETICAL BUDGET - £1500 A budget has been allocated for the design, manufacture and installation of the artworks. As part of the brief you will produce a realistic breakdown of the costs of your projected artworks, to include materials, fixings and installation and present this at the pitch.

The live brief?
For the live brief I have decided to pick the Birley live brief. I think I was drawn to this one from looking over the brief and overcoming the words Education and sustainability. So instantly I am thinking of how I can learn more about education and put into practise what I have learnt so far with Edlab which is actually based in Birley. Hopefully I can use Edlab as a connection during this live brief project.

What can I make?
Structure? Workshop?

Research on Birley
Focusing this week on what Birley want to be seen and recognised for I think I shall focus my project on the community and education and try and use sustainable materials as I have found Birley are very proud of what they are doing right now with sustainability. For me when looking at Birleys site I recognised that sustainability was a key factor for the building and what they want to stand for.

What to do next?
Research more about workshops to see if its something I defiantly want to try and tackle.
Also carry on with drawing work as a structure may still be a possible outcome.

Gather experience if possible running a workshop so I understand how to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment