Wednesday 18 May 2016

Group Dynamics & Group Tutorials

Common Ground

Our group decided to work as a collective. We all came from different practices and this really was helpful as I got to see someone who works in 3Design working and I really like the way they worked and showed their thoughts and processes. As a group we set up a Facebook account to keep in contact daily, however we also tried to meet up weekly to see and help each other. I have learnt from this project that separate ideas really don’t come together unless there is something bringing it all together. Our group ‘Common Ground’ pitched our ideas to the panel and the feedback we were given overall was good. However, what I picked up on whilst we were all going through our slides is that our manifesto was a good one but apart from that we didn’t really connect, even though we are a collective. There’s no connection which really combines our work together. Also if our work was on the rooftop people visiting wouldn’t know that we were a group working together. So this was something we needed to discuss and meet up about. We met up after the pitch, I put forward a way of communicating with the public our  ideas and processes through Instagram, allowing people to follow our steps. We also decided to create a booklet which Hannah put together with are manifesto and all a bit about our work, inserting images of our drawings.
We also spoke about how we can connect our work physically on the night so people go away knowing that we are a collective. This was a really good idea and I think from this Unit X project by working with multiple people you pick up ways of working and I definitely learnt from Hannah about ways of creating business cards and also creating a booklet for the future.
 


During my last pitch, I had to explain my ideas again as the first time round the panel were unclear about some areas.  After explaining again, they understood, but in the real world if I was to do a pitch I would have to get my idea across the first time in a way they can understand.

Having group tutorials are really useful as you get thoughts and ideas from others and areas for improvement. When you're working on something you need to stand back and let people comment and this was something I thought really helped me. After the pitch I decided I would re- design my illustrations to make improvements and only do one panel. From doing this project I have had to overcome obstacles and learnt lessons that I need to book laser in advance and I need to be well prepared and be more careful with time.

At the start of my project I really wanted to combine digital print with wood for the panel. As a group they really did help saying it would look too busy and take away from the design. I found that by me giving my group ideas it helped me think about my own comments and how I could apply them to my own work.I wanted to incorporate text from the conversations I overheard and we also agreed this would be too busy so I wanted to have a way where people can write and also I could listen on the night and then upload onto the Instagram page.

I think with the Unit X project after high hopes from last year's group I just thought we would be working on something together. But with us being completely different I think this is maybe why we didn’t. In the real world however we all might come from different areas, so it has prepared me to try and come to an agreement to get a final outcome together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment