Monday 16 May 2016

New York- Overview.


New York

By going to New York I have come away with an insight into the working environment I see myself in. We visited quite busy environments and seemingly chaotic working spaces, on the other hand we also saw very simple uncluttered environments. My dyspraxia and dyslexia means that I struggle with organisation and concentration, so I would see myself in a company like Maharam, where the working environment is calm, organised and ordered.

Tom Cody
Before going to this visit I researched the company and it said it was a large airy space, however when actually there it was very hectic and very all over the place. I really didn’t like this visit, I felt like the sales assistants who worked for Tom Cody didn’t really know why we were there and didn’t want us there. Also, I didn’t like their work ethics - they would just pick and choose existing work and do changes to the digital prints, but this is fast fashion and this is something I definitely do not want to be a part of.

 Maharam
Maharam was everything I could imagine for a company. They were very adamant when talking to us about identity.  The font and the vision of Maharam’s was to be simple and they really did do this from the sample binders and how they present these in a well organised manner. This was really pleasant to the eye and it helped to see the samples at their best as they were placed next to corresponding samples. I also loved the space in which they worked in, it was minimal and ordered. Even though I really did like their samples I was more enthralled by  their interiors and the space and this really did make me question  if it was textiles I was interested in.

Rug Company



I was so inspired by seeing someone who was from MMU being in New York doing such an amazing job. I also really liked the idea of creating files/ designs and then selling them to companies. This made me think about my laser designs and how I could possibly sell my ideas. I loved their passion for colour and how they went to the client’s houses to make sure the product suited the surroundings. The work space was open. I liked this.


 
Bradley Rothenberg


This visit amazed me; the way they used the 3D software to create 3D printed knits was fascinating. From this visit it made me want to do more research and become more technical and bring back my love for science which I enjoy so much and hopefully if I take this approach I will create something new.
 
Flavor Paper




















Flavor paper was fun! Creative! Colourful! I loved this visit because as soon as you came into the space downstairs was like being in the art school in a workspace. It was interesting being able to see the products being made and then going upstairs to the office and the sample being displayed. There was music playing and everyone was willing to speak and was very kind. A work space like this would make me enjoy coming to work every day. I also liked the way they displayed their work and where the ideas came from and how they were held together with Perspex.

The Trip
Therefore, the trip over all was amazing I loved the experience, learnt so much, and saw so much. I have found so much inspiration from galleries and my surroundings, which I cannot wait to work with in third year. It has also made me think about considering other career options. I have always imagined myself going into teaching after graduating. Everything I have done has always been leading me to this career path. However, after coming back from New York it has made me think of going for more industry placements to see if I would enjoy it.
 






















 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment