Wednesday 18 May 2016

Unit X - Visit Rooftop


 
 
 
 


On the visit to the Bruntwood building, we were able to see the spaces which were available for us to create our work in. There were two spaces shown to us, the Bruntwood rooftop and then a café across the road, which is a potential place to showcase our work. I was amazed at how appealing the rooftop actually was, I came with the mind-set that it was going to be very bare, like Federation House from the last unit X.  However, straight away I felt it needed improvement to develop a more creative environment. From going to New York I realised how much a working environment can have an impact on your mood and how you work. I believe that by incorporating colour and fun vibrant surroundings when visiting the rooftop, this will motivate workers and give them a break from the corporate environment inside.
Already I know I want to reuse the panels which are surrounding the rooftop for health and safety reasons. I want to use these panels because I believe it fits in with our group’s focus on  sustainability. However when coming back to take them down we wasn’t aloud to remove them so I had to use a new panel of wood and then attach on to what was already exsiting.This was something I wasn’t planning on to happen so I had to overcome this and this was something I need to be thoughtful of in future projects that things will change and I have to adapt to this.  As soon as I had decided I wanted give the rooftop ‘character’ it then became apparent that I was going to do exactly this by drawing characters. Usually I tend to stick with simple drawings which I can then multiply in laser. This time I want to push myself and increase my laser knowledge, going out of my comfort zone.  I want to bring a playful and vibrant colour palette. Usually I work with yellow and grey tones, I still would like to work with yellow but also incorporate other vibrant colours. At the visit I noticed there were flowers and I would love if my work could echo the colour from the flowers. Another idea I had is doing vibrant digital prints and having them on the centre parts on the scaffolding this idea was inspired by what I saw in New York. By placing my work within the central space, like my last group for unit X did in Federation House, it will grab people’s attention and become the focus point of the rooftop. I am yet to decide what my final outcome will be with this project I am aiming to reflect more, rather than heading straight into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment