Sunday 22 November 2015

Giles Miller Studio


 
Today’s lecture I found inspiring.

His work captivated me the work Giles Miller Studio produces  is so sophisticated using physics and maths combined with creativity to transform a simple shape into a much complexed piece. I instantly wanted to know how they connected each induvial shape and how they create this tonal difference. They let things steer its self and this way it becomes more organic not having a final destination which I find a challenge to do (I should take this attitude).

They have done work for clients such as Stella McCartney, British Airways, Ritz-Carlton Hotels, Westfield, The World Architecture Festival, Bombay Sapphire Gin, Selfridges and many more from around the world especially Dubai.  It all started from cardboard and then it has progressed much more into different materials. Making complexed surfaces however, they still having (come back).

I asked a question about how they assemble the pieces together and they use panels in which then they drill each tile individually.By facing each tile at different angles (up,down) that then creates the tonal differences and this changes when at different points of the pieces. They also use hinges to join each tile to create this effect which I would like to explore in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment